I am a fan of the show Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. I used to DVR it and watch the same episode several times and take notes during our years in California. This recipe for Cajun Chicken Alfredo was featured in host Guy Fieri’s own restaurant Johny Garlics in Santa Rosa, California. Guy, in his show tells that he developed this recipe during his college days at University of Nevada. I was so excited that I did this recipe the very next day it was aired. This recipe is a regular now at my place. Its simple and very flavorful. I have modified the recipe very little to suit my family’s taste.
The very important ingredient in Cajun Chicken Alfredo is blackening spice mix. I use store bought blackening spice mix. Its sold as Cajun spice mix in India. If you are in the US, it will be sold as blackening spice. It has a lot of flavorful ingredients like salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, cumin, Italian seasoning etc….
Buy Cajun Spice Powder Online in India
We will be using 2 boneless chicken breasts for today’s Cajun Chicken Alfredo . Cut the chicken breasts into cubes. Rub the chicken well with 3 tablespoons of Cajun Spice powder. Be generous with the spice mix!!! It has a lot of flavor. Make sure the chicken pieces are evenly coated with the spice powder. Let it marinate for 30 minutes.
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan until hot on medium flame. Add in the chicken pieces and cook for 5 minutes on each side. It should nicely brown and some bits on the chicken would turn black. Don’t worry. Its just that the spice coating is blackening. It is not burning. You are on the right track.
Once the chicken is cooked, add in the finely chopped garlic and saute for a minute. Add in the milk and the cream. The original recipe uses all cream. But I make it as a lighter version with milk and cream. The original recipe uses sun dried tomatoes too. But I don’t add sun dried tomatoes as I don’t get them here. If you have sun dried tomatoes, add a couple of tablespoons of chopped sun dried tomatoes now.
Let the mixture boil for 5 minutes on medium flame. Add salt and taste for seasoning. The Cajun spice mixture already has salt in it. So go easy on the salt. Look at the beautiful color it becomes after adding cream. Add in the boiled Spaghetti and Parmesan cheese. Mix well for a minute to let the sauce coat the pasta. Switch off the flame and garnish with spring onions.
Not super complicated, easy, flavorful Cajun Chicken Alfredo pasta is ready!! Serve hot. This recipe has to be had as soon as its made else the pasta tends to dry out.
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless
- 3 tablespoon blackening spice powder / Cajun spice powder
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup Milk
- ½ cup cream
- 2 tablespoons sun dried tomatoes (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 250 grams spaghetti, cooked
- 3 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoon chopped spring onion (4 stalks)
- Cut the chicken breasts into cubes. Rub the chicken well with 3 tablespoons of Cajun Spice powder. Let it marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan until hot on medium flame. Add in the chicken pieces and cook for 5 minutes on each side.
- Once the chicken is cooked, add in the finely chopped garlic and saute for a minute. Add in the milk and the cream.
- Optional - Add a couple of tablespoons of chopped sun dried tomatoes.
- Let the mixture boil for 5 minutes on medium flame. Add salt to taste.
- Add in the boiled Spaghetti and parmesan cheese. Mix well for a minute to let the sauce coat the pasta. Switch off the flame and garnish with spring onions.
You can substitute more cream instead of milk if you want a rich sauce.