Recipe for soft brown rice idli made with unpolished brown rice and urad dal. Its rich in fiber and nutrient dense.
- 1/2 cup whole white unpolished urad dal
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 cup brown poha / aval
- 2 cups brown rice
- 2 teaspoon rock salt
- Wash and soak the urad dal, fenugreek seeds, rice for 3-4 hours in lots of water. Soak the poha / aval in one cup of water.
- Drain the water from urad dal and grind the urad dal in the wet grinder adding 1/4 cup of water. Set aside.
- Do not drain the water from the aval / poha if any. Grind to a smooth paste. Add couple of tablespoon of water only if necessary. Mix it with the urad dal batter.
- Drain the water from the brown rice and grind the rice in the wet grinder. Add 1/2 – 3/4 cup water while grinding. The lesser, the better. Add to the aval – urad dal batter.
- Add in the salt. Mix the batter well.
- Keep the bowl in a warm and draft free place and allow it to ferment for 6-8 hours.
- Prep Time: 10 hours
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Idli
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu