If there is one chutney that I can have everyday with idli and dosa, it has to be the kaara chutney / spicy red chutney. I have shared a different version of the kaara chutney here. This recipe is a 5 minute kaara chutney / spicy red chutney recipe. No frying, no sauteing. Easy, breezy chutney cooked to perfection in just 5 minutes.
This is an OPOS – One Pot One Shot recipe.
# This recipe works well ONLY in a 2 or 3 liter Indian style pressure cooker. Do not use a big cooker without adjusting the quantity. It wont work. Do not scale the recipe up or down. Use exact measurements and equipment.
If using induction stove (recommended), cook the chutney ingredients in 1200W for 5 minutes.
If using gas stove, keep on medium and cook for 5 minutes. When 5 minutes is over, switch off the flame and release the pressure immediately. Do not try to force open the cooker with the pressure inside. Its dangerous.
Here is how to do the chettinad style spicy kaara chutney. Hope you enjoy the video.Print
- 3 tablespoon sesame oil (gingely oil, nallennai)
- 2 medium sized onion, chopped
- 2 medium tomato, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic
- 8 dried red chillies
- 1 inch piece tamarind
- 1 teaspoon jaggery (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Take a 3 litre pressure cooker and add in the oil to the pan.
- Add in the onion, tomatoes and garlic.
- Add in the chillies, tamarind and jaggery.
- Cover the pressure cooker with a lid and add the weight.
- Cook for 5 minutes. (Set a timer)
- Induction stove is preferred. If using induction, set the stove at 1200w. If using gas stove, set it in medium flame.
- In both methods you should get about three whistles. You can switch off after 3 whistles. 5 minutes or 3 whistles whichever is first.
- After 5 minutes, switch off the flame and release the pressure manually.
- Open the cooker and add in the salt.
- Grind to a paste without adding any water.
- Serve with idli, dosa, uthappam etc..
The term OPOS and One Pot One Shot are registered trademarks owned by Mr.Ramakrishnan. The recipes have been adapted using his OPOS principle. They are used in Kannamma Cooks with prior permission.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Category: Chutney
- Cuisine: Chettinad, Tamilnadu
I got a lot of mails asking if the bottom will get burnt as we are not adding any water. Trust me. As we are not sauteing anything, the moisture from the veggies are intact. So that will do the trick.
Also cook in medium high to high heat for just 5 minutes or 3 whistles whichever is the first. If you are afraid of burning, keep the flame in medium.
Trust me in this. I have done it and it works. That’s the beauty of OPOS.