For the Batter
- 500 ml Idli Batter
- 3 tablespoon Sago/Sabudana/Javvarisi
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt (if required only)
For the tempering
- 2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 20 shallots or one big onion, chopped fine
- 4 green chillies, chopped fine
- 3/4 cup fresh shredded coconut (half of one medium sized coconut)
For frying Kuzhi Paniyaram
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
- Soak Sago in 1/2 cup of water for half an hour. Grind to a paste. Set aside.
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan and add in the oil. When the oil is hot, add in the mustard seeds. Let it splutter. Add in the shallots and the green chillies. Fry the onions till they are soft.
- Once the onions are soft, add in the coconut. Fry for a minute. Remove off heat. Add in the onion coconut mixture and the sago paste to the idli/dosa batter. Add salt if required.
- Heat the paniyaram pan / paniyarakkal until hot. Add 3/4 teaspoon of vegetable oil into each mold. Drop the batter to fill the mold. Cook for a minute. Then turn and cook on the other side. Turn again if necessary to make sure the paniyaram is evenly cooked on both sides and its nicely golden in colour.
- The paniyaram is ready if it has become crispy and golden on both sides.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: South Indian, Tamilnadu