- 3 cups Maida (All Purpose Flour)
- 4 Green Chillies, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 sprigs curry leaves, finely chopped
- 1.5 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon regular granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon ghee (or) melted butter
- 1/4 cup Olive oil (or) vegetable oil
- Water to knead the dough
- Take a bowl and add in all the ingredients except water. Make sure that the onions and the chillies are finely chopped. If the pieces are big, then it might just tear the dough while rolling it. So make sure that its really finely chopped. I have used Olive Oil for this recipe. Peanut Oil / Vegetable oil etc.. also works just fine.
- Mix all the ingredients to combine. It will look like coarse sand. Slowly add water to the bowl and start mixing.
- Do not add lot of water at once. Add the water in intervals and keep mixing. We are looking to form a dough that is stiff but still pliable. Close to chapati dough consistency.
- Once the dough is mixed, rest for 30 minutes. Cover the pan with a lid so the dough does not dry out. Take a small piece of dough and make a ball. Dust the dough ball generously in flour. Start rolling the dough gently. Spread the dough to a 4-5 inch circle.
- Use a round cutter / a bottle cap etc… to stamp out the cookies. I have used two inch cutters. Use whatever you have at home. Dust the cutters in flour so it does not stick to the dough.
- Place the prepared crackers on a parchment / silpat lined baking sheet. These crackers do not spread while baking. So you can arrange them close. We will bake the crackers in batches.
- Using a fork, pierce holes in three to four places so that the crackers do not puff up while baking.
- Preheat the oven for 10 minutes at 200 degree Celsius.
- Bake in a 200 degree Celsius oven for 18- 20 minutes till the crackers are really golden. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. Store in an air tight container for up to a week.
For Best results make sure that the crackers are rolled thin and baked till they are really golden. Each oven is different. The baking time may take a couple of minutes more or less depending on the oven.
- Prep Time: 20m
- Cook Time: 20m