Recipe for kuzhi panitaram made with cholam / sorghum millet. An easy way to add millets in your diet.
- 1 Cup Cholam / Sorghum
- 1/2 Cup Whole Urad Dal
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 10 shallots / small onions
- 3 Dry Red Chillies
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves
- Wash the Cholam/Sorghum in running water 2-3 times. Soak it in lots of water for 8-10 hours. Soak the urad dal and fenugreek seeds in water separately.
- Drain the water from urad dal and fenugreek seeds. Grind it to a very fine paste. Add upto half a cup of water while grinding. Set aside.
- Drain the water from the Sorghum and add it to the mixie/blender. To this, add shallots, dried red chillies, cumin seeds, Salt and curry leaves. Add about 1 to 1.5 cups of water and grind to a paste. Do not grind it to a smooth paste. The texture should be that of sooji rava / semolina. Once ground, remove the mixture and set aside.
- Mix the Sorghum mixture and urad dal mixture and mix well to combine.
- Now cover the mixture with a lid and allow it to ferment in a warm place.
- After fermentation, the batter would have risen a little (it will rise more if you live in a hot place) and will be very bubbly. Do not mix the batter.
- Heat a paniyaram pan until hot. Add in 1/4 teaspoon of oil to each of the mold and set the pan on low flame. Ladle the paniyaram batter to the pan. Cook for a minute. Then turn and cook on the other side.
- The paniyaram is ready if it has become crispy and golden on both sides.
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Coimbatore, Tamilnadu, South Indian