Recipe for coriander thokku. Sweet and tangy kothamalli thokku Tamilnadu style. Perfect accompaniment for chapati and dosa. I even spread it on toast.
- 250 grams coriander leaves
- golf ball size tamarind
- 1/2 cup jaggery
- 15 dried red chillies (preferably gundu variety)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 cup sesame oil (Indian gingely oil)
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
- Clean and wash the coriander leaves and set aside. Soak the tamarind and extract the pulp. Set aside.
- Grind all the ingredients listed under “to grind” to a smooth paste.
- Heat sesame oil (Indian gingely oil) in a pan until hot. Add in the mustard seeds and the asafoetida. Add in the ground paste.
- Add in the ground paste and keep stirring until the paste thickens and resembles Halwa consistency.
- Store in fridge.
- Category: chutney
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu