Recipe for simple and spicy South Indian style prawn fry with black pepper and curry leaves. Recipe with step by step pictures.
- 1 cup regular idli-dosa batter
- few teaspoon of besan (optional)
- 1 sprig curry leaves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 200 grams medium sized prawns
- Lemon wedges to serve
- Tooth pics for skewer
- Wash, clean and devein the prawns. Take a toothpick and insert into the tail end of the prawn. The tooth pick will help the prawn hold its shape when fried in oil. Prawns have a tendency to curl when cooked.
- Take a bowl and add in a cup of thick idli-dosa batter. To the batter add in the salt, black pepper powder, chopped curry leaves, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and a teaspoon of thick ginger garlic paste. Mix well to combine.
- Heat oil in a kadai until hot. Dip the prawns toothpick skewer in the dosa batter and shake off any excess. Add in the prawns to the hot oil.
- Fry till the prawns are golden.
- Serve hot with some lime / lemon wedges.
Note: I soak the toothpick in water for an hour and then use it to skewer the prawns. Otherwise the prawns will not release easily after deep fried in oil.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu