My husband and I landed in USA after marriage on a cold March evening. We were super tired and hungry. We reached Homestead suites and my husband informed me that it would be our home for another couple of weeks till we got an apartment. I never knew what a studio was until then. We took a shower and headed out to eat. There wasn’t any restaurant nearby and we did not have a car yet. We landed at Ralphs departmental store after some walking. I was in awe with the kind of things one could find in an American super market. It was big, oh! so big!!! with never ending aisles. We got a lot of snacks and fruits and my very first Famous Amos chocolate chip cookies. I had never tasted chocolate chip cookies until then. The most chocolaty thing that you can get those days in India was the Bourbon chocolate biscuits or a spoonful of bournvita or Maltova that you can sneak from the kitchen shelf. I instantly became a fan of these crisp cookies. My son is even a bigger fan of famous amos cookies. We tried baking these home-made crispy chocolate chip cookies and it was a lot of fun. Lot of nostalgia thinking of December as it can be the best time in USA.
Here is how we did our crispy chocolate chip cookies. Traditionally chocolate chip cookies uses white sugar as well as brown sugar. For this recipe, I have just used plain white sugar as brown sugar will make the cookie a little chewy.
Make sure all the ingredients are at room temperature. You will need a stand mixer or a hand mixer to do this recipe. I recommend the Kitchen-Aid Hand blender if you are buying new.
Cream the butter (unsalted) and sugar for 3-4 minutes until fluffy. We will need fine granulated sugar for this recipe. I have used just plain sugar for this recipe.
Add in the egg and vanilla and beat for another two minutes.
Add in the sifted all purpose flour (maida) and baking soda. Beat till the flour is well combined.
Add in the chocolate chips and mix well.
Note: At this stage the cookie dough can be refrigerated for upto two days and baked whenever necessary. The flavor in fact improves when the dough is rested. Most of the professional bakeries rest their dough over nite before baking. Resting the dough develops the flavor and gives the flour time to absorb the moisture and swell. Also the cookies when baked doesn’t spread too much.
If you do not have time, rest for at-least 30 minutes and proceed with the recipe.
Preheat the oven for 10 minutes to 200 degrees Celsius or 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Using an ice cream scoop, portion out the cookie on a silpat / parchment lined baking sheet. Using your fingers, slightly flatten the cookie dough. Unlike other dough, this dough does not spread too much while baking.
Bake for 12-15 minutes until the top has slightly browned. It will still be a little soft to the touch and will harden as it cools. If the cookie has become slightly brown on the top and the edges, its an indication that the cookie is done. Remove and set aside to cool on a plate. Once the cookies are cool, store in an airtight container for upto a week. It does not last for more than a couple of days at my place.
Crispy and crunchy chocolate chip cookies are ready!
Copy Cat Famous Amos Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe. The cookies are crispy and crunchy and easy to make at home. Recipe with step by step pictures.
- 200 grams unsalted butter
- 150 grams fine granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 325 grams all purpose flour ( Maida)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 150 grams chocolate chip cookies
- Cream the butter (unsalted) and sugar for 3-4 minutes until fluffy.
- Add in the egg and vanilla and beat for another two minutes.
- Add in the sifted all purpose flour (maida) and baking soda. Beat till the flour is well combined.
- Add in the chocolate chips and mix well.
- Preheat the oven for 10 minutes to 200 degrees Celsius or 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Using an ice cream scoop, portion out the cookie on a silpat / parchment lined baking sheet. Using your fingers, slightly flatten the cookie dough.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until the top has slightly browned. It will still be a little soft and will harden as it cools.
- Once the cookies are cool, store in an airtight container for upto a week.
- Category: snack
- Cuisine: American