Recipe for thai style homemade chilli garlic sauce. Easy to make hot chilli sauce recipe that comes handy while making asian recipes. Recipe with step by step pictures.
- 100 grams ripe red chillies
- 200 grams garlic, peeled
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar (or) apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil (plain – not toasted)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon corn starch / flour
- 2 tablespoon water
- Peel the garlic, wash and remove the stems from the chillies. Set aside.
- Take a mixie / food processor and grind the chillies and garlic to a coarse paste. Do not add any water while grinding.
- We need a coarse paste. Once the mixture is coarse, stop grinding and set aside.
- Take a pressure cooker and add in the coarse ground paste and the sugar. Add more sugar if you like your sauce on the sweeter side. Adjust the sugar according to your taste. Add in the water. Add in the rice vinegar (or) apple cider vinegar. Use whatever vinegar you have at home. It works just fine. I have used apple cider vinegar for making this recipe. Add in the sesame oil. This is plain un toasted sesame oil. Finally add in the salt.
- Mix everything well and pressure cook the sauce for 10 minutes. Ignore the number of whistles and cook the sauce on a medium flame. After 10 minutes, remove the sauce from heat and wait for the pressure to settle naturally.
- In the meantime, make a corn starch slurry by mixing the corn starch and water. Set aside.
- Open the cooker and add in the corn starch slurry to the sauce and simmer for 3-4 minutes till the sauce thickens up. The sauce will further thicken up as it cools. Its ok if the sauce looks a wee bit watery.
- Remove from heat and set aside to completely cool. Homemade chilli garlic is ready.
- Bottle the homemade chilli garlic sauce (use glass or ceramic to store the sauce) and refrigerate. The sauce will be good refrigerated for up to a couple of months.
- Category: Sauce
- Cuisine: Asian