- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (vendhayam)
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 medium sized onion, diced
- 2 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 2 inch tamarind or 3 Tablespoon homemade tamarind paste
- 2 teaspoon sambar powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon jaggery
- 6–7 brinjal, cut into big pieces
- 3/4 cup Water
To make into a paste
- 1/4 cup fresh shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds (sombu)
- 1/2 cup Water
- Heat sesame oil in a pressure pan until hot. Add in the fenugreek seeds (vendhayam), curry leaves and garlic cloves. Fry for a minute.
- Then add in the diced onion and tomatoes. Fry for a minute more.
- Add in the sambar powder, turmeric powder and salt. Add in the tamarind paste and jaggery. Add in the brinjal and water.
- Take a mixie jar and grind the coconut and fennel seeds (sombu) with water to a fine paste. Add it to the pan.
- Cover the pressure cooker and cook for 2 whistles.
- Switch off the flame and wait for the pressure to release. Serve the Kaara kuzhambu hot with rice.
If using fresh tamarind,
Soak the tamarind in 3/4 cup water for 20 minutes. Crush between hands to make pulp. Then use it in the recipe. Do not add extra water.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu