Recipe for Indian style lemon chicken recipe thats easy and bachelor friendly. Lemon chicken recipe with step by step pictures.
Take a small mixie jar and add in the onion, garlic cloves and ginger. Add in quarter cup of water and grind to a smooth paste.
Marinate the chicken
Take a bowl and add in the cleaned chicken pieces. I like to use chicken with bone for this recipe. The bones keep the chicken very juicy and also imparts a great flavour to the dish. I have used chicken thighs for this recipe. Avoid using chicken breast as it becomes really hard after the long cooking time.
Add in the ground paste, yogurt, turmeric, coriander powder, salt, green chillies and juice of half a lemon. Add more green chillies if you want a spicy chicken. Let the chicken marinate for 20-30 minutes.
Cook the chicken
Add oil to a pan. I like to use a non-stick pan as the masala does not stick to the pan while cooking. Add in the marinated chicken to the pan. The mixture will slowly become watery after adding to the pan. Do not add any additional water to the pan. The water from the marinade and the chicken is enough to cook the chicken. Let the flame of the stove be at medium low at all times.
Cover the pan with a lid and simmer for 10 minutes. Open the lid, give a stir and cook for another five minutes more without the lid.
When the mixture is almost dry, add in half a teaspoon of garam masala and toss the chicken well.
Keep tossing for 3-5 minutes till all the masalas properly adhere to the chicken and the mixture is dry. The masala covering the chicken will start to caramelise and turn brown here and there. Its a good sign that the masala is well cooked and the chicken is done.
Add in the chopped capsicum and the butter. Toss for a minute more. The butter nicely compliments the flavor of lemon.
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- 6 garlic cloves
- ½ inch piece ginger, peeled
- ¼ cup of water
- ½ kg chicken thighs with bone
- 3 tablespoon plain yogurt / curd
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 3 green chillies, chopped (add more for spicy chicken)
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 teaspoon peanut oil / sunflower oil
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 capsicum, diced
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Juice of half a lemon
- Grind the onion, garlic and ginger with quarter cup of water to a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Mix the chicken with the ground paste and the marinade ingredients. Mix well and marinate for 20 minutes.
- Add oil and the marinated chicken to a non-stick pan. Cook covered for 10 minutes. Cook for another 5 minutes without the lid.
- Add in the garam masala and toss well.
- When the chicken is starting to brown, add in the capsicum and the butter. Toss well to coat.
- Add in the lemon juice and switch off the flame.
- Serve hot!