Recipe for South Indian style Mushroom Stew. Perfect side dish for appam and idiyappam. Recipe with step by step pictures.
For the spice paste
- 10 cloves garlic
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 3–4 green chillies
- 1/2 inch piece cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 1 cardamom
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 10 cashews
- 1/3 cup fresh shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon white poppy seeds (khus khus)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 200 grams button mushrooms , diced
- Grind together green chillies, garlic, ginger, fennel seeds, cardamom, cloves and cinnamon with half a cup of water to a very smooth paste. Set aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan until hot. Add in the finely chopped onions and curry leaves. Saute till the onions are soft.
- Add in the tomatoes and the spice paste. Add in the salt.
- Saute for 5-7 minutes on a medium flame till the masalas are well cooked and the tomatoes are juiced down and the mixture is relatively dry. Add in the diced mushrooms.
- Add in a cup of water and let the curry simmer for 10 minutes.
- Mean while soak the cashews, white poppy seeds (khus khus) and fresh shredded coconut in half a cup of water for 10 minutes. Grind to a smooth paste.
- Add in the paste and half a cup of water to the curry.
- Let the curry simmer for five minutes.
- Mushroom stew is ready. Serve with appam, idiyappam. It even goes really well with some ghee chapati.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Category: curry
- Cuisine: South Indian