Pachai Payaru Masiyal, Green Moong dal – Green Gram Curry.
Pachai Payaru masiyal recipe. Whole moong dal/mung bean curry south indian style. Easy and healthy lentil curry.
Lentils and rice make perfect lunches. There is nothing more comforting than a good lentil curry with rice. This is such an easy recipe for the busy mornings where I need to pack lunches for the family. Lentils and rice make a simple everyday Indian meal. The creamy texture of the dal makes it so rich yet so healthy. We call it as pachai payaru masiyal in tamil. Serve it hot with rice and drizzle a teaspoon of ghee over. Yum… Somethings in life are so simple and yet so immensely satisfying. Moong dal curry sure belongs there. I call it my everyday lentil.
- 2 teaspoon Sesame/Gingely oil
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 6-7 curry leaves
- ½ cup shallots or 1 red onion chopped
- 2 green chillies (I use the thai chillies or the serrano variety)
- ½ cup whole moong dal (mung bean)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups water
- Soak the dal in water for an hour.
- Pressure cook the moong dal with the water for a good 10 minutes or 5-6 whistles.
- Heat oil in a saute pan, add the cumin and curry leaves. Let it splutter.
- When the cumin splutters, add the shallots or onions, green chillies and salt.
- Saute for a good 5 minutes in low flame until the onions are translucent and starting to brown.
- Remove from heat and mix in the cooked dal and grind it in a mixie/food processor until smooth.
- Serve hot with rice and ghee