Erode Pallipalayam Chicken Fry Recipe. Chicken roasted in Tamilnadu Pallipalayam style masala. Prepare with easy step by step pictures.
I first heard about Pallipalayam Chicken Fry from Chef. Jacob Sahayakumar Aruni who is no more. Chef Jacob did a lot of research on the food of Kongunadu / Coimbatore region and this is truly his find. Pallipalayam(பள்ளிபாளையம்) is located very closer to Erode. This is a very simple recipe. There are not much of masalas involved in this recipe. Here is how to prepare a great Pallipalayam chicken. Come with me. Lets make an awesome Pallipalayam style Chicken.
We need to use shallots (Indian small onions – chinna vengayam) for this recipe. No substitutes please. Peel the shallots, PEEL the shallots and keep peeling it until you have peeled the last one. I know. Its never ending. Remember that good things take time. Now peel 15 cloves of garlic. Indian garlic is really small. If using big cloves, just add 5 cloves garlic.
OK. Lets cheer up. Here is my virtual hi 5 to you. Grind shallots and garlic in a mixie / blender until its a coarse paste. Just pulse it 6-7 times for 5 seconds each time.
Heat Oil in a non stick pan. Coconut oil please. The flavor of the coconut oil is so good in this recipe. I have found that non stick pan works well for this kind of recipe. Chop a dozen dried red chillies and add it to the pan. Add in the the ground shallot garlic paste and fry for a minute.
Add in the chicken (preferably thighs), curry leaves, turmeric and salt. Lots of curry leaves please.
Now comes the important part. Keep the flame on low and keep frying the chicken for 30-40 minutes. Yes its a long time. All of the shallot – garlic paste needs to be cooked and roasted and will finally adhere to the chicken. The chicken should be totally dry after 40 minutes. Do not rush, as the flavor develops only when the chicken is fried on a very low flame. Keep sautéing and turning once every 5 minutes. The chicken needs to completely become dry. If the onions are not roasted well and dry, the dish will be bitter. Dont add too much onions also.
Once the chicken has become fully roasted and the dish is dry, switch off the flame. Garnish with fresh curry leaves and the coriander leaves.
Erode Pallipalayam Chicken Fry is ready. It is one of the easiest and most tastiest dish to make. Enjoy!
- 500 grams chicken with bone
- 150 grams Indian Shallots (chinna vengayam) (around 15 small onions)
- 15 cloves Indian small Garlic (or 5 cloves regular garlic)
- 2 tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 12 dried Red chillies
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- 5 sprigs Curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 sprigs Curry leaves
- 3 sprigs coriander leaves, chopped
- Grind shallots and garlic in a mixie / blender until its a coarse paste.
- Heat Oil in a non stick pan. Add in the chopped dried red chillies and add it to the pan. Add in the the ground shallot garlic paste and fry for a minute.
- Add in the chicken, curry leaves, turmeric and salt.
- Keep the flame on low and keep frying the chicken for 30-40 minutes. The chicken should be totally dry after 40 minutes. Once the chicken has become fully roasted and the dish is dry, switch off the flame.
- garnish with fresh curry leaves and the coriander leaves.