Recipe for Payatham Paruppu Payasam made with moong dal, jaggery and coconut milk. Easy recipe with step by step pictures.
For cooking dal
- 1/3 cup split yellow moong dal
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup jaggery
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 3 cardamom
- 1/2 cup thick coconut milk
- 2 pinches salt
- 2 teaspoon ghee
- 15 cashewnuts
- Wash the moong dal. Cook the dal with water for 3 whistles in a pressure cooker. Set aside.
- Take a pan and add in half a cup of jaggery and half a cup of water. Wait for it to melt completely.
- Take a small mixie jar and grind 3 pods cardamom with 2 tablespoon of sugar to a powder. Add it to the pan. Let it simmer for couple of minutes.
- Remove from heat and strain the mixture.
- Add the strained jaggery liquid back to the pan. Add in the cooked dal, little salt and the thick coconut milk. Keep the flame of the stove at low. Simmer the payasam briefly for two minutes. Do not bring it to a boil. Remove the payasam from heat. Set aside.
- Take a small pan and add in two teaspoons of ghee. Add in the cashews and fry till brown. Add it to the payasam.
- Serve warm.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu