Recipe for pepper dal. Moong dal tempered with freshly ground black pepper and spices. Very comforting for cold and flu.
- 1/4 cup moong dal
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil (Indian gingely oil)
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 onion, finely chopped (roughly about 1/2 cup)
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 sprig curry leaves, chopped
- 2 teaspoon fresh black pepper powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander powder
- Boil the moong dal with 1.5 cups of water in a pressure cooker for 4 whistles. Let the pressure from the pressure cooker settle on its own.
- Heat sesame oil (Indian gingely oil) in a pan. Add in the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and fennel seeds. Let the mustard seeds splutter. Add in the onions and saute for couple of minutes.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes, salt and finely chopped curry leaves. Saute for five minutes.
- Add in the freshly ground black pepper, turmeric and coriander powder. Saute for a minute.
- Add in 1.5 cups of water and simmer the curry for 10 minutes on a low flame.
- Add in the cooked dal and simmer for a minute more.
- Serve hot!
- Category: side dish
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu