Recipe for Pudalangai Paal Kootu made with snake gourd and toor dal. Easy everyday lentil recipe. The addition of milk gives a very nice creamy taste.
- 1 cup chopped snake gourd – pudalangai
- 1/2 cup cooked toor dal
- 1/2 cup boiled cow milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
For the Masala Paste
- 1/4 cup fresh shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 green chillies
For the Tadka
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3–4 dry red chillies (i used gundu chillies)
- Boil the snake gourd – pudalangai until tender but firm. Set aside.
- Make a paste of coconut, green chillies and cumin seeds. Grind the ingredients with 1/4 cup of water to a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Heat a pan and add in the cooked snake gourd, the ground coconut paste and cooked toor dal. Add in the salt. Let it simmer for a couple of minutes. Add in the milk and boil for a minute more. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan until hot. Add in the mustard seeds and dried red chillies. Let the mustard seeds splutter. Immediately add it to the curry.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Curry
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu