Recipe for Puli Vadai , Pulusu Vadai – A southern kongunad specialty. Puli Vadai made with rice, lentils and tamarind.
- measurements used – 1 cup = 240 ml
- 1 cup par boiled rice (puzhungal arisi)
- 1/4 cup toor dal
- 1 small lime size tamarind
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 dried red chillies
- 1/4 cup fresh shredded coconut
- 500 ml vegetable oil for deep frying
- Soak the rice and the toor dal in water for a couple of hours. Drain and set aside.
- Take a mixie jar and add in all the ingredients to the jar.
- Do not add water at the beginning while grinding. Pulse the mixie several times until the mixture is coarse. Add couple of tablespoons of water at a time and grind the batter to a paste. Let the paste be very slightly coarse. Do not grind to a fine paste. The batter should be thick. So use caution and add very little water while grinding.
- Once the batter is ground, rest it for an hour in the refrigerator.
- Heat oil until hot.
- Take a plastic paper and keep it on a flat surface. Slightly oil the surface. Take a small piece of the batter and make a ball. Place the ball on the paper and spread the ball with finger tips to form a circle.
- Gently remove the spread dough and place it in oil. Fry for a minute on each side. The batter will fluff up in oil like pooris. When the vadai is deep golden brown, remove and drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot.
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Kongunad