South Indian Sambar Powder Recipe – Homemade Sambar Powder -Tamil Style Sambar Powder preparation Recipe with tamil style ingredients.
- Measurements Used – 1 Cup = 250 ml (approx) 1 teaspoon = 5 ml, 1 tablespoon = 15 ml
- 1/4 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 20 Dry Red Chillies
- 1/2 Cup Coriander Seeds
- 2 Tablespoon Black Pepper
- 2 Teaspoon Fenugreek Seeds
- 1 Teaspoon Fennel Seeds (optional)
- 1 Teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 Cup Toor Dal
- 2 Tablespoon Rice
- 2 Teaspoon White Poppy Seeds (Optional)
- 3 Tablespoon Cumin Seeds
- 2 teaspoon Turmeric
- 2 teaspoon Asafoetida (Hing)
- Take a heavy pan and add in the oil and the chillies. Keep sauteing. When the chillies plump up, they are done. Remove from the pan and set aside to cool.
- Dry roast the coriander seeds until fragrant and the color of the seeds are slowly starting to brown here and there. Remove from the pan and set aside on a plate to cool.
- Add in all the other roasting ingredients and dry roast on a low flame. Keep sauteing until the toor dal has changed color and is brown. Set aside on a plate to cool.
- Let the mixture cool completely. Take a mixie jar / spice grinder and grind the roasted ingredients. When the ingredients are half ground, add in the turmeric powder and asafoetida. Grind to a fine powder.
- Sift the ground masala to remove any lumps that must have formed during grinding and to aerate the powder. Let it cool and dry for an hour. Bottle the powder and store it in an air tight container and use it within 45 days.
- Category: Masala Powder
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu