Vegan Beetroot poriyal Stir-fry, Beetroot thoran recipe
Quick and easy recipe for Beetroot poriyal . South Indian Tamilnadu style steamed vegetable stir-fry . Its healthy and vegan too.
Beetroot is such a hearty and earthy vegetable. Whenever I peel beets, I smell the scent of rain on dry earth or மண் வாசனை – manvasanai as we call it in Tamil. Peeling beets is calming. Beetroot poriyal makes for a very nice side dish. My young son has it with rice and calls the dish as pink rice. Its one of his favorites. Its an easy, healthy, straight forward recipe. First the beetroot is steamed and then its tempered the indian way. Nothing fancy out here.
I have a trick for quick steaming the veggies. I put the cut veggies in a bowl and place the bowl in a pressure cooker filled with 1 inch of water. Pressure cook it for 3-4 minutes (2 whistles) and that gives perfect steamed vegetable every single time. Wait for the pressure to settle naturally.
Heat oil in a saute pan and add in the Urad dal, mustard seeds, cumin and let it splutter. Add in the curry leaves, green chillies and the minced ginger. Fry for a minute. Then add in the onions and salt and fry till soft and tender. About 3-4 minutes. Add the beets and saute for a minute more. Add the shredded coconut and toss until combined. Switch off the flame and remove it from heat. Serve with rice.
- 500 grams Beetroot diced (about 2 big beets)
- 2 teaspoon peanut oil (sesame,sunflower or vegetable oil works fine)
- ½ teaspoon urad dal
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 green chillies chopped (thai or serrano)
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 big red onion chopped
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoon shredded coconut
- Steam the beetroot to your preference.( al-dente or fully cooked)
- Heat oil in a saute pan and add in the urad dal, mustard seeds and the cumin seeds. Let it splutter.
- Add in the green chillies, ginger and curry leaves all at once. Fry for a bare minute.
- Add in the onions and the salt. Saute until soft and tender.
- Add in the steamed beetroot and saute until combined. Add in the shredded coconut and toss to combine.
- Remove from heat and serve with hot rice.