Indian Tea shop Butter Biscuits | டீ கடை பட்டர் பிஸ்கட்
Recipe for delicious south indian tea kadai/tea shop bakery style butter biscuits/cookies. Crispy Iyengar bakery Indian cookies recipe. Salt Biscuit.
I can say a few things about most of the south Indian men and women. They love bakery butter biscuits. Some might not eat a cake but will never say no to a cookie. Trust me on this. Especially if its butter biscuits. These cookies are the real deal. These are the cookies that we love to eat all the time. These cookies are the true spirit of the French Normandy Sable cookies. They are so good and elegant with crispy exterior, tender interior and a bite full of buttery goodness. One bite and its so nostalgic. During college days in Chennai, I have had these cookies with my friends almost everyday. We used to gather around the tea shop during break hours, have a tea and share the cookies and chat for hours. Tea shops were the places where best of the ideas were born.
Lets crank up the mixer and make some greatest butter cookies. Shall we?
Sift half a cup (65 grams) of confectioners sugar over half a cup (110 grams) of butter.
Cream the butter and sugar mixture until light and fluffy. Oh yes. Good things take time. I promise your patience shall be rewarded. Scrape the bowl once to make sure the butter and sugar is properly combined. Scraping is good.
Add 1 cup (130 grams) of flour, 1/8 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract at once and mix for 15 seconds on low.
Scrape the bowl again! Mix for a minute and we are done!
Transfer the dough to a plastic cling wrapped surface and make a log. cover it with cling wrap.
Refrigerate the dough for an hour. Even over-nite is fine.
Cut the dough into half inch thick cookies.
Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven for 22-25 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through. When they start to brown, they are done. Have an eye as they can go from brown to burnt very fast!
Transfer to a cooling rack for 15-20 minutes.
And Voila! The best cookies of my lifetime!
Long live the tea shops. Amen.
- ½ Cup (110 grams) Butter at room temperature
- ½ Cup (65 grams) Confectioners Sugar
- 1 Cup (130 grams) All purpose flour
- ⅛ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoonPure Vanilla Extract
- Sift sugar over butter and cream until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour, salt and vanilla at once and mix until combined.
- Transfer the dough to a cling wrapped surface and make a log. cover it with cling wrap.
- Refrigerate the dough for an hour.
- In the mean time Preheat the oven to 350F/180C
- Cut the dough into half inch thick cookies.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven for 22-25 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through. When they start to brown, they are done. Have an eye as they can go from brown to burnt very fast!
- Transfer to a cooling rack for 15-20 minutes.