South Indian Tamilnadu hotel style spicy Tomato Onion Chutney. Red Chutney, Kaara Chutney recipe for idli and dosa.
- 2 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1/8 teaspoon mustard seeds (use very little)
- 2 tablespoon urad dal
- 4 dried red chilli
- 1 sprig curry leaf
- 3 Medium sized onions, roughly chopped
- 4 Medium sized tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- a small piece of tamarind (10 grams, one rupee coin size)
- 1 teaspoon jaggery
- Heat oil in a pan and add in very little mustard seeds. Let it splutter. Add in the urad dal. Add in the dried red chillies. Fry until the urad dal is nice and golden. Its important to get the dal to golden colour for any chutney.
- Add in the roughly chopped onions and the curry leaves. Fry till soft and starting to brown.
- Add in the tomatoes and the salt and fry in medium flame for five minutes or until the tomatoes are mushy. Switch off the flame. Add in the tamarind and a teaspoon of jaggery.
- Remove the mixture from the pan and let it cool slightly. Run it in a blender / mixie to a smooth paste. Do not add any water while grinding.
- Serve with idli or dosa.
This chutney can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two days.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Chutney
- Cuisine: South Indian