Recipe for easy Tomato Rice with Coconut Milk made in pressure cooker. South Indian Tomato rice recipe made Tamilnadu style.
Measurements Used – 1 cup = 250 ml
- 1.5 cups Basmati rice
- 2 cups coconut milk from Half a coconut
- 2 cardamom pods
- 2 cloves
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 Onions, chopped
- 4 green chillies, slit
- 6 cloves garlic
- 4 very ripe tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- Heat oil in a pan and add in the spices. Fry for 10 seconds. Add in the chopped onions and the sliced green chillies. Fry for a minute.
- Add in the crushed garlic and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Puree the tomatoes in a blender / mixie and add it to the pan. Add in the salt, chilli powder and turmeric. Fry for 3-4 minutes until the tomatoes are cooked and dry.
- Take the coconut meat from half a coconut and run it in a blender with 2 cups of water and make a very fine paste. Strain the coconut milk and set aside. Add in the coconut milk to the pan. for every cup of rice use, 1.5 cups of liquid.
- In the mean time, drain the soaked rice and set aside. Once the liquid in the pan comes to a roaring boil, add in the rice. Mix well and close the lid and put the whistle weight on. Cook for 5 minutes on medium flame or for 2 whistles. Exactly 2 whistles. Switch off the flame and wait for the pressure in the cooker to release naturally. Once the pressure has released, open the lid and gently fluff up the rice.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
If using canned coconut milk (which is very thick), use one cup of canned milk mixed with water for this recipe.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Lunch
- Cuisine: South Indian, Tamilnadu