This is an ideal recipe for whole wheat burger buns which makes that rustic soft bun that toasts well, takes in all the juices without becoming mushy.
To me an ideal burger bun is
Soft but not a foamy pillow
Holds up to the juices
It needs to be a little sweet. Hell yeah! Good Balance….
Should be hearty, has some character
Absolutely no dry buns
This recipe is all that. Now lets get to work. Here are the things you will need
First lets get the yeast working.
Add quarter cup of warm water plus a pinch of sugar to the yeast and leave it aside for 5 minutes so it becomes foamy. If it doesn’t foam, discard and start again with a fresh batch of yeast.
I store my yeast in the freezer at all times and it stays for a long period.
Once the yeast has proved that its kicking and alive, dump all the ingredients – the proved yeast mixture, water, sugar, butter, all purpose flour, whole wheat flour mixed with salt into a bowl and mix with a wooden spoon. We are not trying to knead yet. We are just combining everything together. Once its kinda looks mixed, move away for 15 minutes. Don’t do anything. It hydrates the dough and it becomes a lot easier later to knead.
Now start kneading. I did it by hand for a good 5 minutes. The trick in kneading is to avoid the temptation of adding flour. Too much flour alters the moisture content and will result in a dry burger. Dry bread is a sin. so do not add too much flour while kneading. Promise me you wont!.
BENCH SCRAPER is my best friend. I use it all the time to get the dough off the surface while kneading. It will stick to your hands like mad. After 5 minutes, it will still be very very tacky and that’s how it should be.
Transfer it to a clean bowl and cover and keep it in a warm place for about an hour. It should have doubled in volume.Take the dough and gently deflate. Divide into 6 equal balls.Shape it into a very smooth ball using the cup of your hands. Any imperfection at this stage is going to be reflected in the final bun. so take your time. Place it in an oiled sheet pan and gently press the tops and brush the tops with butter and sprinkle the seeds generously.
Now let them rise again for about an hour. In the mean time preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C. Bake the buns for about 15-18 minutes, turning the pans once to help aid even baking. Cool the buns in a rack for 30 minutes.
Now, Here is the recipe for whole wheat burger buns !
This is an ideal recipe which makes that rustic soft bun that toasts well, takes in all the juices without becoming mushy. Its a soft whole wheat healthy bun. Whole wheat healthy bread.
- 1/2 cup water plus 1/4 cup barely warm water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon melted butter to brush the buns
- 2 tablespoon all purpose flour for kneading- Bench flour
Prove the yeast
- Mix in the yeast, warm water and a pinch of sugar and set aside for 5 minutes to foam
- Mix salt, whole wheat flour and all purpose flour with a whisk to combine
Kneading and baking
- In a big bowl combine the yeast mixture, water, sugar, butter and the flour mixture briefly and set aside for 15 minutes to hydrate the dough.
- Now knead the dough for a good 5 minutes by hand until the dough comes together and forms a rough ball. It will still be very very tacky.
- Place the dough in a clean bowl ,cover it and let it rise in a warm place for one hour until doubled.
- After risen, deflate the dough gently and divide it into 6 equal parts.
- Shape it into 6 smooth balls using the cup of your hands.
- Place it in an oiled sheet pan, gently press the tops, brush the tops with butter and sprinkle the seeds generously.
- Now let them rise again for about an hour. In the mean time preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C. Bake the buns for about 15-18 minutes, turning the pans once to help in even baking. Once out of the oven cool the buns on a rack.
- Category: Bread
- Cuisine: American
Number of servings in this recipe : 6