Agathi Keerai அகத்தி கீரை Poriyal with coconut. Easy and healthy to do side dish for lunch. South Indian Tamilnadu style recipe.
- 250 grams Agathi Keerai
- 2 teaspoon peanut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon split urad dal
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 green chillies, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fresh shredded coconut
- First, remove the leaves from the stem of the keerai. Discard the stem. Soak the leaves in plenty of water for 10 minutes to get rid of fine dust and sand. Wash it several times in running water. Drain the water and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan until hot. Add in the mustard seeds and the urad dal. Wait for the mustard seeds to splutter and the urad dal to brown. Add in the finely chopped onions, salt and the chopped green chillies. Fry till the onions are soft.
- Add in the agathi leaves and cook for 10 minutes in medium flame until the leaves are soft and cooked. Add a little water (about 1/4 cup ) while cooking if necessary.
- Add in the fresh shredded coconut and fry for a minute. Switch off the flame.
- Serve Agathi keerai for lunch with rice and a side dish of sambar and rasam.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Side dish for Lunch
- Cuisine: South Indian, Tamilnadu