Indian style masala fried fish made in the air fryer. Kerala Karimeen Fry – Kerala Style Pearspot Fish Fry – Air Fryer Fish Fry – Karimeen Masala Fry
- 500 grams karimeen – pearlspot fish (or) fish of your choice
For the marinade
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil / peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or plain vinegar
- 2 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 2 teaspoon chopped curry leaves
- 1.5 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the topping / tempering
- 1.5 teaspoon coconut oil
- 3 tablespoon chopped shallot / small onion
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 6–7 cloves of garlic, crushed with skin
- a pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- Take in all the ingredients listed under marinade and mix them well. Use thick ginger garlic paste for this recipe.
- The oil and vinegar and the moisture from the ginger garlic paste will be enough to make a thick paste. Add a teaspoon of water if only necessary. Make sure that the masala is thick so it evenly coats the fish.
- Wash, clean and prep the fish. Make small gashes on the fish with a sharp knife so the masalas can penetrate and season the fish throughout. Be gentle and do not cut too deep. These cuts / crevices will hold the masalas later. So take time and make as many even cuts as possible. This is a very important step.
- Apply the marinade on the fish. Make sure that the masalas are evenly coated. Apply masala in the gashes so the fish gets evenly seasoned.
- Marinate the fish in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.
- We will now cook the fish in the air fryer. The cooking time will vary depending on the size of the fish. I cooked these in the air fryer for 15 minutes at 200 degrees Celsius.
- The fish was perfect after cooking for 15 minutes. For bigger fishes, cook for 5 minutes more.
- Now we will make a topping for the fish. Heat coconut oil in a pan and add in the finely chopped shallots (small onion), curry leaves and whole crushed garlic with the skin. Add in a pinch of salt. Fry for 5-6 minutes.
- The shallots would have become crisp by the time. Now add in the red chilli flakes and remove from heat. The topping is ready.
- Sprinkle the topping on the fish and serve hot.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Fish Fry
- Cuisine: Kerala