Recipe for akkaravadisal. prasadam, neivedyam for god. Made with rice, lentils and milk. Jaggery is used to sweeten akkaravadisal. With step by step pictures.
- I have used rice cups for measurement for this recipe. 1 rice cup = 160ml
- 1 Cup Rice
- 1/4 Cup Split Yellow Moong Dal
- 3.5 Cups Full Fat Milk
- 1 Cup Jaggery
- 1/3 cup Water
- 2 Tablespoon Sugar
- 4 Cardamom
- 1 Cup Milk to be added at the end
- 4 Tablespoon Ghee
- 10 Cashewnuts
- Wash and soak the rice and dal in water for an hour. Drain the water and set aside. Add in 3.5 cups of milk to the rice dal mixture.
- Take a 5 liter pan and add in 200 ml of water. Add the pot with the rice-milk mixture inside the pan. (pot in pot cooking method). Cover and cook for 10 whistles. It took about 12 minutes. Allow the pressure from the cooker to settle on its own.
- In the mean time, powder the sugar and cardamom and set aside.
- Heat the jaggery with water and the sugar mixture until dissolved. Remove from heat.
- On opening the cooker, transfer the mixture to the pan and strain the jaggery liquid onto the cooked rice. Mash well with a spatula or a cup. If you want a very creamy Akkaravadisal, mix in a cup of hot milk and let the mixture simmer for a minute. Add in the ghee. Akkaravadisal is ready.
- You can also fry some cashews in ghee and add it to Akkaravadisal. While serving, add a teaspoon of ghee and serve.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Sweet
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu