Recipe for ammini kozhukattai recipe. Spicy ammini kozhukattai – Tamil style recipe made with rice flour. Spicy rice dumplings.
For the Lentil Masala
- 1 teaspoon white sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 2 teaspoon chana dal
- 2 dried red chillies
- 2 teaspoon fresh shredded coconut
For the Dough
- 1 Cup Plain Rice Flour
- 1.5 Cups Water
- 1 Teaspoon Vegetable Oil
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- Dry roast the dried red chillies, sesame seeds, urad dal and chana dal on a low flame till the lentils are golden. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Once its cool, add in a little fresh coconut and grind in in a mixie to make it into a coarse powder. Set aside.
- Take a pan and add in a cup of flour to the pan. Roast the flour on medium flame until the flour is very hot to the touch. Remove and set aside.
- Take a pressure cooker and add in 1.5 cups of water, a teaspoon of oil and half a teaspoon of salt. Cover and cook for one whistle. Remove the pressure manually. Hot water is ready!
- Immediately add in the roasted rice flour and mix well to combine. Cover the cooker, put the whistle on and let it rest for 15 minutes. Remember the stove is off. We are just resting the dough covered. Rest for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, open the cooker and mix the dough. The dough will be very hot. Make small balls out of the dough.
- Once the balls are rolled, transfer the balls to idli plates. Bring a pan with an inch of water to a boil. Place the idli plates with the balls and steam for 15 minutes covering the pan with a lid. Switch off and rest for 10 minutes to cool.
- Heat a pan with a tablespoon of sesame oil. Add in the mustard seeds and curry leaves. Let the mustard seeds pop. Add in the cooked dumpling balls and the masala powder. Toss for a minute to coat.
- Ammini Kozhukattai is ready!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Dumplings
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu