- 200 grams fresh shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup Jaggery
- A pinch of salt
- 4 cardamom, powdered
- Lets make coconut milk. I used one half coconut for this recipe. About 150-200 grams. Take out the coconut meat from the coconut and run it in a blender/mixie adding 1 cup of water. Strain. The strained milk is what we call as the first milk or thick milk. Run the strained coconut bits again in the blender with 1 cup of water for a minute. strain. The strained milk is called second milk or thin milk. Set aside.
- Peel the cardamom and remove the black seeds. Make a powder with the inner black seeds in a mortar and pestle. Set aside.
- Mix one cup of water with half a cup of jaggery. Add in the cardamom powder and the outer skin of the cardamom. Keep it on the stove on medium flame. Let the jaggery melt completely. Remove off stove and strain to remove the impurities from the jaggery.
- Take a pan and add in the jaggery water, a pinch of salt and the second extract of thin coconut milk. Heat it on a very low flame for 2 minutes until its slowly boiling. Switch off the flame.
- Add in the first extract of thick coconut milk and mix well. Serve with appam.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Category: side dish
- Cuisine: South Indian, Breakfast