Recipe for making Tamil style aval upma made with potatoes and onion. Perfect and easy breakfast upma variety that can be made quickly for the busy mornings. Tasty home style Recipe with step by step images / pictures and step by step YouTube video.
Main Ingredients for making aval upma
- 2 cups aval (thick variety only)
- 3 tablespoon refined peanut oil
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon finely minced ginger
- 2 sprigs finely chopped curry leaves
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1.5 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
- 4 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped potatoes
- 1/2 cup fresh (or) frozen green peas
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 3 sprigs coriander leaves, finely chopped
Here is how to make easy aval upma for breakfast
- Wash and soak the thick aval variety. soak at room temperature in regular water for a minute. Drain the water and set aside. Do not soak the aval for a long time as it will become soggy and thick like a porridge.
- Heat refined peanut oil in a pan. If you do not have peanut oil, any vegetable oil can be used for making this aval upma recipe. When the oil is hot, add in the peanuts and roast on a low flame for 2-3 minutes. Remove the peanuts and set aside on a plate to cool. I like to add the roasted peanuts at last just before serving so it adds a nice crunch to the upma.
- In the same oil, add in the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, finely minced ginger and finely chopped curry leaves. Let the mustard seeds crackle.
- Add in the finely chopped onions and the salt. Saute onions until the onions are soft.
- Add in the turmeric powder and the finely chopped green chillies. I like to finely chop the green chillies so a big chilli doesn’t end up on the plate while having aval upma and its really tasty to have roasted green chillies in the aval upma. Fry for a few seconds.
- Add in the finely chopped potatoes and peas. I like to finely chop the potatoes while making aval upma as it cooks evenly, cooks faster and roasts better. Add in a teaspoon of sugar too to balance out the flavour. Sugar is optional. If you do not want to add sugar, its ok.
- Close the pan with a lid and cook covered on a low flame for about 5-6 minutes. If you have added little bigger chopped pieces of potatoes while making aval upma, it can take longer time to cook. Sprinkle little water if you think the bottom of the pan is starting to scorch.
- Once the potatoes are soft, add in the drained aval. Mix well. Cover the pan with the lid and cook for a couple of minutes more.
- Add in the lemon juice and coriander leaves. Immediately switch off the flame. Mix well and serve hot.
- Aval upma is one of my all time happy breakfasts that I do at-least once a week. I make it sometimes for dinner too! Its my kind of breakfast for dinner recipes. Do try it at home and enjoy!
There are two types of aval available in the market. The thick variety and the thin variety. The thin variety is used for making snacks like the south Indian mixture / chivda etc… and the thick variety is used for cooking and making upma. Use only the thick variety. The thin variety will not work in this recipe and will immediately turn into a mush once soaked in water. ( I have used thin variety during my early marriage days and I still remember spoiling the breakfast. So do not be like me. Use the correct aval )
Keywords: aval upma