Recipe for Avarakkai Kuzhambu, Avarakkai Paruppu Curry, Broad Beans Curry. Perfect South Indian Tamilnadu style lunch side dish for rice.
- 250 grams Avarakkai / Broad Beans
- 1/2 cup fully cooked Toor Dal
- 1 inch piece tamarind (gooseberry size)
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon Jaggery
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2 stalks coriander leaves, chopped
For the Masala
- 1 tablespoon sesame / gingely oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 tablespoon Coriander Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 2 Tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Green Chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup fresh shredded coconut
- Boil the cut beans in 2 cups of water until tender. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add in the black pepper, coriander seeds and cumin seeds. Fry in low flame until fragrant. Add in the chopped tomatoes, green chillies, salt and turmeric. Fry till the tomatoes are soft. About 3-4 minutes on medium flame. Add in the shredded coconut and fry for a minute more. Remove from heat and let it cool a bit. Grind the mixture to a smooth paste with one cup of water. Set aside.
- Soak tamarind in one cup of water for 20 minutes. Squeeze the tamarind with hands and discard any hard bits. Set aside the tamarind water. Heat oil in a pan and add in the mustard seeds. Let it splutter. Add in the tamarind water and let the tamarind water come to a boil. Once the mixture boils, add in the ground masala paste and a small piece of jaggery. Cook for 2 minutes on low flame.
- Add in the cooked toor dal and the boiled broad beans. Add in the curry leaves and coriander leaves. Simmer for 5 minutes on low flame. Remove from heat. Serve the curry hot with rice.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: South Indian, Tamilnadu