Homemade recipe for tomato basil pasta sauce from scratch using fresh tomatoes. Best, simple and basic.
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 kilogram ripe tomatoes or two – 28 ounce canned peeled tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 5–6 fresh basil leaves
- Boil water in a pan and drop the ripe tomatoes in the boiling water. Boil for half a minute to a minute. Peel the tomato skin and cut the tomato into half. Remove the seeds and let the juices through a strainer / colander. We will be using the juice later.
- Puree the tomatoes in a food processor. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and add in 3-4 cloves of minced garlic and one finely chopped onion. Add in a teaspoon of dried thyme.
- Cook the onions until soft and translucent. About 3-4 minutes in medium flame. Add in the tomato puree along with the strained juices.
- Add a teaspoon of sugar. Add in freshly ground pepper and salt.
- Simmer the sauce for 10 minutes in medium flame until a thick sauce forms.
- Switch off the flame and tear some fresh basil leaves and add it to the pasta sauce.
- Pasta sauce is now ready. You can store this sauce for up to a week in the refrigerator.
Measurements used – 1 CUP = 250 ML
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Italian