For Beetroot Broth
- 500 grams Beetroot
- 1 cup water
For the Rasam Powder Masala
- 1 teaspoon Dry ginger powder (sukku)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
For the tamarind extract
- half a lime size tamarind
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 2 dried red chillies, preferably gundu variety
- 1/2 of a red onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 green chillies
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 3 sprigs coriander leaves, chopped
- Steam the beetroot in a cooker and drain the broth. Set aside. Use the steamed beetroot to make poriyal.
- Soak half a lime size tamarind in a cup of water for 20 minutes. Squeeze and extract all the juices. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is hot, add in the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Let it splutter. Add in the crushed garlic and the red chillies and fry for 30 seconds. Add in the chopped onions and fry till the onions are soft. Add in the Rasam masala powders and the tamarind extract. Let it boil for 3 minutes.
- When the tamarind extract has cooked, add in the beetroot cooking liquid. Add in the curry leaves, coriander leaves and the green chillies. Let it briefly simmer for a minute. Do not cook for long after adding the beetroot liquid.
- Switch off the flame and serve hot with rice.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Rasam
- Cuisine: South Indian