Recipe for beetroot tomato rasam. Rasam made with the juice of beets and tomatoes along with garlic and spices. Recipe with step by step pictures.
- 1 beetroot, washed and peeled
- 4 tomatoes, preferably country tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- ¼ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 2 dry red chillies
- 3 green chillies
- ¼ inch piece tamarind
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon rasam powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- a pinch of asafoetida
- 2 sprigs coriander leaves
- Roughly chop the tomatoes and beetroot.
- Add the roughly chopped beetroot and the tomatoes to a mixie / food processor. Add in a cup of water and grind it to a very fine paste. Grind for about a minute so its really fine.
- Using a wide meshed strainer, strain the beet tomato puree. (Do not use a fine mesh strainer). Set aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add in the fenugreek seeds (vendhayam), garlic, curry leaves, broken dry red chillies and slit green chillies. Let the chillies start to blister.
- Add in the tamarind pulp and the salt. Note: For tamarind pulp – Soak ¼ inch piece of tamarind in half a cup of water for 15 minutes. Squeeze the tamarind and discard the seeds and the pith
- Add in the rasam powder and turmeric powder. You can use homemade rasam powder. Even store bought rasam powder works just fine.
- Add in the asafoetida (perungayam). Let the mixture boil for 3-4 minutes on a low flame.
- Add in the beetroot-tomato juice.
- Add in the coriander leaves and let the mixture simmer for couple of minutes. Do not boil for long.
- Beetroot tomato rasam is ready. Serve with rice. If you want to serve as a soup, strain and serve hot.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu