Recipe for Bisi bele bath. Bisi bele huli anna. Karnataka style recipe for spiced lentils and rice.
Dal Rice Mixture
- 3/4 Cup Toor Dal
- 3/4 Cup Raw Rice (I used Sona Masuri Rice)
- 5 Cups Water
- 1 Cup Hot Water
For Bisi Bele Bath
- Wash the dal and rice and add it to a pressure cooker. Add in 5 cups of water and cook for 5 whistles. Remove from stove and wait for the pressure to release.
- Add a cup of hot water and mix well to loosen the rice dal mixture a little bit. Adding hot water at this stage makes the rice very creamy. Set aside.
- Heat Ghee in a pan and add in the mustard seeds and curry leaves. Let it pop. Add in the cashewnuts and peanuts. Fry till the nuts are brown.
- Add in the tamarind paste and jaggery. Add in a cup of water. Add in the Bisi Bele Bath powder and the salt. Let it come to a boil. Let it boil for 10 minutes on low flame to cook the tamarind and the masalas.
- Add in the cooked rice dal mixture. Mix well and let it simmer for a couple of minutes on the stove. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Serve hot with a good teaspoon of ghee for each serving.
I have not used any veggies in this recipe and have kept it traditional.
You can add veggies of your choice.
Optional: Fry some peanuts, cashewnuts and curry leaves in ghee and serve as a garnish.
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Karnataka