Bombay Chutney, Kadala Maavu (Besan) Chutney Recipe. Easy side dish for Idli, Dosa and Pooris.
- 2 teaspoon peanut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 dried red chillies
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 inch piece ginger, finely minced
- 4 green chillies, slit
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoon besan flour (kadalai maavu)
- 2 cups water
- Heat a pan with oil until hot. Add in the mustard seeds, dried red chillies and curry leaves. Let the mustard seeds splutter. Add in the asafoetida (hing) and wait for it to bubble up. Add in the sliced onions, finely chopped ginger and green chillies. Saute the onions for 3-4 minutes until the onions are soft and starting to brown. Add in the turmeric powder and the salt. Saute for 10 seconds.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes and saute till the tomatoes are fully cooked and juiced down.
- Mix in the besan with two cups of water.
- Add the besan slurry to the pan. Let it simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Serve hot with idli or dosa.
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu