Bread Besan toast. This recipe is simple where Bread is dipped in chickpea batter and toasted on a griddle.
- 1 cup Besan (chickpea flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- a big pinch of hing – asafoetida (optional)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 6–8 sprigs coriander leaves (cilantro), finely chopped
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 5–6 slices bread
- Sift a cup of besan (chickpea flour) to remove lumps. Add in the salt, turmeric and cumin seeds. I also add in a pinch of hing (asafoetida). Hing is optional. I add hing as it helps in digestion. Add 3/4 cup of water and make a batter. Set aside.
- Chop the onion, green chillies and coriander leaves (cilantro) very very finely. Mince the garlic cloves. Add in these ingredients to the batter and mix well. Add water little by little, a tablespoon at a time if necessary. It should be a thick batter.
- Heat a griddle until hot. Dip the bread in the batter and use your hands to spread the batter evenly on the bread. Turn the bread and make sure the batter has adhered to all over the slice of bread. Toast the bread both sides, on a low flame until brown and crisp and toasted. Serve hot.
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Indian