Recipe for Carlos Bakery German Crumb Cake. Old fashioned New Jersey Hoboken crumb cake Cake Boss Buddy Valastro Style.
For the Dough
- 2 teaspoons Active dry yeast
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup warm whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter
For the Crumb Topping
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) cold unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups leftover cake crumbs/scraps (optional)
For the Dough
- Take a small bowl. Add in the yeast, 1/2 a cup of warm milk and 1 tablespoon of sugar and let it rest until the yeast is dissolved and foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Take a big mixing bowl and add in all the remaining ingredients listed for the dough except the butter. Add in the yeast mixture too. Mix everything with a wooden spatula just until combined.
- Slowly add in the butter in small pieces and start kneading. I kneaded by hand. If using a stand mixer, knead for 5 minutes on low speed.
- Don’t add additional flour while kneading. The dough will be extremely sticky. Knead for a GOOD 10 minutes by hand. Scrape the dough from the bench with a help of a metal scraper and fold it onto itself. Scraper is a very essential tool for kneading sticky dough. Repeat till completely kneaded. The dough will slowly come together but will remain very very sticky to touch. Remember NOT to add extra flour while kneading.
- It will come together as one single mass of dough. Just scrape the dough and place it on a bowl.
- Cover the dough with a plastic wrap and let the dough rise in a draft-free place at warm room temperature until doubled in bulk. I use a shower cap to cover the bowl. Its a cool idea! It will take about two hours to double in bulk.
For the topping
- Pulse together topping ingredients in a food processor until many large clumps form. Transfer to a bowl and chill, covered, until ready to use.
Final Rise of Dough and Baking
- Butter and line a 13- by 9-inch baking dish.
- Remove the dough from the bowl gently and place it on the baking dish.
- Wet the hands in cold water and spread the dough evenly on the pan.
- Sprinkle all of the topping on the dough and gently press the topping with your fingers.
- Cover the dough with a kitchen towel and let dough rise again in a draft-free place at warm room temperature until almost doubled in bulk, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Put the oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat oven to 350°F /180°C. Bake until topping is golden, 55 to 60 minutes. Cool cake in pan on a rack until barely warm.
- Sprinkle confectioners sugar on top of the cake. Just sift some sugar in a strainer on top of the cake for even distribution of sugar.
- Serve WARM. Always!!
Recipe adapted from Ruth Cousineau.
Crumb cake is best when freshly made, but leftovers can be rewarmed and served.
Serve WARM. Always!!
- Prep Time: 3 hours
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Cake
- Cuisine: American