Recipe for carrot raisin muffins. Muffins made with 100% whole wheat flour. This recipe is refined sugar free and uses jaggery for sweetness. Its egg-less, dairy free and vegan. Healthy breakfast muffins recipe.
- 1 Cup – approx 240 ml
- 1 teaspoon – 5 ml
- 1 tablespoon 15 ml
- 50 grams cashews
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 300 grams whole wheat flour (atta)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dry ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 200 grams grated carrot
- 165 grams jaggery
- 100 grams raisins
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven for 15 minutes at 200 C.
- Roast the cashews in coconut oil till golden. Remove to a plate and set aside to cool. Chop the cashews coarsely into small bits. Set aside.
- Roughly chop the jaggery and add it to a bowl. To the bowl add in the raisins and a cup of water. Grind everything to a puree. If you have an Indian mixie, add water little by little while grinding. Else the raisins wont get ground properly.
- To the puree, add in the oil, vinegar and vanilla. Whisk well. Set aside.
- Take a big bowl and keep a sifter on top of the bowl. Add in all the dry ingredients except cashews, fresh ginger and carrots to the sifter. Sift well so the dry ingredients can combine. Add in the cashews, fresh grated ginger and carrots.
- Add in the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients
- Mix gently with a spatula. Stop mixing when there is no more dry flour to be seen. Mixing for a long time will yield hard muffins. Avoid over mixing.
- Line jumbo muffin liners on a muffin tin and using an ice-cream scoop, scoop out the batter into the liners. Bake the muffins for 20-25 minutes on 200C. Check after 20 minutes.
- If a toothpick inserted comes clean, the muffins are done.
- Remove the pans and set aside to cool. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator and use within three days.
- To serve – Toast the muffins in a toaster or oven for five minutes at 200C and then serve warm.
***If using regular cupcake liners, you will need to bake for lesser time as the liners are small. Usually the regular liners bake in about 15-18 minutes. Keep that in mind.***