Cauliflower vadai made with blanched Cauliflower and spices. Gobi Vada / pakora recipe. Shallow fried Indian style Cauliflower fritters that are made without eggs, Vegan and Gluten-free.
For Blanching Cauliflower for the vadai / fritters
- 500 grams Cauliflower florets
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 litres water
Other Ingredients for the Cauliflower Vadai
- 4 green chillies, finely chopped (add more if you need it very spicy)
- 4 sprigs coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 3 sprigs curry leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 6–7 sprigs mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1.5 tablespoon white poppy seeds (khuskhus)
- 10 whole cashew nuts, finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup besan ( Indian chickpea flour )
- 1/4 cup Peanut Oil / Vegetable Oil for shallow frying
Wash the Cauliflower in water and cut it into florets. Bring a big pot of water to boil , add in turmeric, salt and the Cauliflower florets. Let it boil for 7-8 minutes until half done. Remove off heat. Drain the water. Grate the Cauliflower florets in a wide grater. If the stems of the florets are very hard to grate, chop them finely with a knife and add. Set aside.
Take a bowl and add in the grated Cauliflower, finely chopped green chillies, finely chopped coriander leaves, poppy seeds (khuskhus), finely chopped cashew nuts, salt, curry leaves, ginger, mint leaves, onion, fennel seeds and besan (chickpea flour). Make sure to chop the onions and greens as fine as possible. Mix everything well. Do not add any water at this stage. mix well with your hands to combine. Add a tablespoon of water at a time if the mixture is very dry. Add water only when really necessary.
Slightly oil your hands and form 2 inch cutlets / patties with the mixture. Make sure the patty is tight and even on the sides. Gently even out the sides by pressing with your hands. Set aside.
Heat oil in a flat pan until hot. I prefer shallow frying in peanut oil. Shallow fry the Cauliflower vadai for 2-3 minutes on each side on medium flame. Do not turn the vadai often. It might break. Once brown on both sides, remove the shallow fried vadai and drain on paper towels.
Serve Cauliflower Vadai – Crisp Cauliflower fritters hot. Additional bonus – Its yummy, Vegan and Glutenfree.
You can add boiled potatoes, paneer etc for variation of the recipe
- Category: Appetizer, snack
- Cuisine: South Indian, Tamilnadu
Keywords: cauliflower vadai