Tamilnadu Chettinad Style Veg Kola Paruppu Urundai Kuzhambu recipe. Lentil kofta curry. Measurements Used – 1 cup = 250 ml , 1 teaspoon = 5 ml
For the Dumplings
- 3/4 cup toor dal
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds (sombu)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dry red chilly
- 2 green chillies.
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 6–7 sprigs coriander leaves, finely chopped
For the Ground Masala Paste
- 2 tablespoon peanut Oil
- 2 teaspoon fennel seeds (sombu)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoon coriander seeds (dhania)
- 2 sprigs curry leaves.
- 2 medium sized onions
- 12 cloves garlic
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fresh shredded coconut
For the Tempering
- Half a lemon size tamarind
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil (gingely , nalla ennai)
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds (sombu)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sambar powder
- Soak 3/4 cup toor dal in water for 30 minutes. Drain the water and add fennel seeds (sombu), cumin seeds, salt, dry red chillies and green chillies. Grind it in a blender / mixie without adding any water. After grinding, transfer the dal mixture to a cup and add in finely chopped onions and coriander leaves. Mix well. Make little dumpling balls from the mixture. Steam the dumplings in an idli vessel for 20 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai / pan until hot. Add some fennel seeds (sombu), cumin seeds, coriander seeds (dhania) and curry leaves. Let the seeds splutter. Add in the onions and the garlic. Fry well until brown. Once the onions and garlic is cooked and brown, add in the tomatoes and the salt. Fry till the tomatoes are cooked and juiced down. Add in fresh shredded coconut and fry briefly for a minute. Remove off heat and set aside to cool slightly. Grind the mixture to a fine paste. Add a cup of water while grinding to achieve smooth consistency. Set aside.
- Soak half a lemon size tamarind in 2 cups of water for 20 minutes. Once the tamarind has been soaked, squeeze it between the fingers to release all the juices. Strain the juice and set aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai / pan until hot. Add in the mustard seeds, fennel seeds (sombu) and curry leaves. Fry till the mustard seeds splutter and the curry leaves crisp up. Add in the tamarind juice and let it come to a boil. Add in the turmeric powder and sambar powder. Let it boil for 5 minutes. Add in the ground masala paste and simmer for 10 minutes on low flame. Check for seasoning.
- Add in the cooked dumplings and let it boil on low flame for 5 minutes. Remove off heat. Serve hot with rice.
- Category: Gravy
- Cuisine: South Indian