Recipe for Chicken leg pepper fry made with chicken drumsticks. Chicken is cooked and roasted in a masala gravy. Finally black pepper is added and roasted for a spicy peppery flavour. Recipe with step by step pictures.
For the Masala
- 2 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2 dried red chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 10 Indian small onions (Shallots)
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/2 inch piece ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 sprig +1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 teaspoon pepper powder
- 6 chicken drumsticks
- Cut the chicken legs / chicken drumsticks in 3-4 places with a knife. Set aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and add in the dry red chillies, cumin seeds and black pepper. Saute on a medium flame for a minute.
- Add in the sliced small onions (Indian shallots), garlic and ginger. Saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the salt, turmeric powder and coriander powder. Saute for a minute. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- De-glaze the pan with a cup of water and grind the masala along with the deglazed water to a very smooth paste.
- Heat a teaspoon of coconut oil in a pressure pan and add in the curry leaves and a sliced onion. Saute for a couple of minutes. Now, add in one sliced tomato. Cook for another minute.
- Once the tomatoes are starting to soften, add in the ground paste.
- Add a cup of water to the empty mixie jar and wash off all the leftover masala paste and add it back to the pan.
- Add in the chicken legs / drumsticks. Cover the pressure pan and cook for 3 whistles on medium flame.
- Remove from heat and let the pressure from the cooker settle on its own. Open the cooker and remove the chicken legs / chicken drumsticks. Set aside.
- Now transfer the gravy to a pan. Let the gravy simmer until thick
- It will take about 10-15 minutes for the gravy to become thick.
- Once the gravy is thick, add in the chicken pieces back to the pan. Add in the pepper powder and the curry leaves.
- Toss everything to combine. Roast for another couple of minutes. Spicy, lip smacking chicken leg pepper fry / chicken pepper fry / chicken drumstick pepper fry is ready. Serve with biryani or rice. It tastes well with parotta too!
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu