Recipe for South Indian Tamilnadu style Chicken Masala Gravy recipe. Made with coconut milk and spices. Serve hot with Pulao, Biryani or rice.
Spices For the Masala Powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds (sombu)
- 2 dried red chilli
- 2 teaspoon coriander seeds
For marinating chicken
- 250 grams boneless chicken breast, cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 stick cinnamon, 2 inches
- 2 cardamom
- 2 cloves
- 3 sprigs curry leaves
- 5–6 cashewnuts
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1 cup coconut milk (thick)
- 3 sprigs coriander leaves, chopped
- Cut the boneless chicken into very small pieces and add in the salt, pepper, ginger garlic paste and turmeric powder. Mix well to combine. Set aside. Let it marinate for 5-10 minutes.
- Add in all the spices listed under “masala powder” to a heavy pan and dry roast on a low flame until very fragrant and the pepper starts to pop. Remove from heat and allow it to cool completely. Grind the mixture in the mixie to make a powder. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add in the cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, cashews and the curry leaves. Saute for a minute on medium flame. Add in the onions and fry till they are soft. About 3-4 minutes. Add in the tomatoes. Fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add in the chicken mixture and the ground masala. Saute for 7-8 minutes till the chicken is completely cooked and dry.
- Add in the coconut milk and let it simmer for a couple of minutes. Remove from heat and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu