Recipe for Kerala Chicken Stew made with coconut milk served with appam and idiyappam. Popularly called as chicken ishtu.
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 stick / 2 inches cinnamon
- 1 cloves
- 2 cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds (sombu)
- 3 sprigs curry leaves
- 2 inch piece ginger, sliced
- 2 medium sized onions, sliced
- 1 cup fresh peas
- 2 medium sized potatoes, diced
- 500 grams chicken with bone
- 4 green chillies, slit
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup thin coconut milk (second milk)
- 1/2 cup thick coconut milk (first milk)
- Note: If using canned coconut milk instead of fresh milk, 1.5 cups of canned milk
- Heat oil in a pan and add in the cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and fennel seeds. Saute for a few seconds until the spices are aromatic. Add in all the veggies. Onion, ginger, curry leaves, potatoes and peas.
- Add in the chicken, green chillies and the salt. Add in half a cup of water to the pan. Cook for 3 whistles. It will take anywhere between 7-10 minutes. Switch off the stove and let the pressure from the cooker release naturally.
- Open the cooker and add in a cup of thin coconut milk (second milk). Simmer for 3-4 minutes. Then add half a cup of thick coconut milk and switch off the flame.
- Serve Chicken Stew, Chicken Ishtu with idiyappam or appam.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: South Indian