For the masala paste
- 1/4 cup fresh shredded coconut
- 10 cashews
- 2 tablespoon white poppy seeds (khus khus)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds (sombu)
- 2 inch piece ginger ( yes, thats a lot of ginger )
- 7 green chillies
- 1 teaspoon peanut oil
- 3 cardamom
- 3 cloves
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 500 grams chicken thigh with bone
- Green chillies for garnish
- Soak the cashews and poppy seeds in water for 10 minutes.
- Grind all the ingredients listed under masala to a smooth paste. Use about a cup of water to grind the masala.
- Heat oil in a pressure pan. Add in the cardamom and cloves. Add in the chopped onions and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add in the ground masala paste, a cup of water and salt. Add in the chicken pieces.
- Cover the pressure pan and cook for 15 minutes on a low flame.
- Remove from heat and wait for the pressure to be released from the cooker.
- Serve hot with chapati, appam or idiyappam.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu