Recipe for Tamilnadu style chinna vengayam kodhi chutney. Small onion (Indian Shallot) chutney made with shallots simmered in tomatoes and spices.
- 3 tablespoon gingely oil (sesame oil)
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 sprig curry leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 20 small onions (Indian Shallots), sliced
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- Heat oil in a pan for this recipe. When the oil is hot, add in the mustard seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida. Let the mustard seeds splutter. Add in the sliced shallots to the pan. Add in the salt.
- Saute on a medium flame until the shallots are nicely brown.
- Boil the tomatoes and grind them to a smooth paste. Add in the ground tomatoes to the pan. Add in the red chilli powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder.
- Add in a cup of water and let it simmer covered with a pan for 20 minutes. Stir every 5 minutes once to avoid scorching at the bottom.
- Serve hot with idli or dosa.
- Category: Chutney
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu