Recipe for podi idli made with coconut idli podi / chutney podi. This recipe can be adapted easily at home and makes for perfect accompaniment to idlies. Recipe with step by step pictures. Measurements Used : 1 cup = 240ml
For Idli Podi
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil for frying the lentils
- 1/4 cup Urad Dal
- 1/4 cup Toor Dal
- 1/4 cup Moong Dal
- 1/3 cup Fried Gram – Daliya / Pottukadalai
- 15 dried red chillies
- 1 cup Dessicated Coconut Flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
- 1 teaspoon rock salt
- 2 teaspoon jaggery
- 1/2 inch piece tamarind
For making Podi Idlies
- 8 Idlies
- 4 teaspoon ghee or Indian sesame oil
- 1/2 cup idli podi
For idli podi
- Heat a pan and add in quarter teaspoon of coconut oil and add quarter cup of white urad dal. Roast the dal in low flame until golden brown. Keep sauteing to avoid burning. Have patience and roast slow until the aroma comes and the dal turns color. Remove from the pan once the dal is golden. Set aside on a plate to cool. Do the same with toor dal. Roast it in oil until golden and set aside on a plate to cool.
- Roast the moong dal and fried gram just like we roasted the other lentils. Roast the lentils until it smells nutty and the dal turns color. It should be really golden in colour. Always roast on low flame. That is the key. Remove from the pan once the dal is golden. Set aside on a plate to cool.
- Dry roast red chillies on the same pan until you can smell them. Remove the chillies from the pan and set aside on a plate to cool.
- Switch off the heat and add in the dessicated coconut (dry coconut / kopparai). Let the coconut roast in the residual heat. Keep sauteing once in a while for a minute. Set aside.
- Set aside the roasted ingredients on a plate to cool. Let all the ingredients cool to room temperature.
- While its cooling, add in the asafoetida (hing) and the salt to the mixture. Mix well.
- Add in the jaggery and the tamarind. This is the secret to this podi.
- Add in all the ingredients to the mixie except the roasted dessicated coconut. Grind to a fine powder. Adding the coconut in the beginning will make the oil to release from the coconut. So always add the coconut in the end.
- Once the lentils are powdered, add in the coconut and pulse the mixture in the mixie a few times. Take caution not to grind for a long time after adding the coconut. Stop grinding when the mixture looks powdered. Idli podi is ready.
To make podi idlies
- Cook the idlies and let it cool. Once the idlies are cool, we can proceed. Add in half teaspoon of Indian sesame oil or ghee to each of the idlies. For a good podi idli 1/2 teaspoon oil : 1 idli is the ratio. Spread the oil on the idlies using your fingers so the oil is evenly coated.
- Take a plate and add in about half a cup of the podi. Dunk the idlis on the podi.
- Take the podi and try to gently press it on the idlis so it adheres well.
- Let the podi idlies rest for half an hour before serving.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu