Easy Recipe for sweet Coconut Poli made with jaggery, Tamilnadu style preparation.
For the dough
- 1 cup Maida (All purpose flour)
- ⅓ cup water (plus one or two tablespoon more)
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil (nallennai)
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
For Pooranam / stuffing
- 3/4 cup fresh shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup water
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- 3/4 cup jaggery
- ¼ cup Vegetable oil or ghee for frying the obbattu
- Mix the sesame oil, water and flour to make a sticky dough. Cover the dough with oil and allow it to rest for an hour. Set aside.
- Boil the jaggery with little water (about 1/4 cup) till it completely melts. Add in the fresh shredded coconut and cardamom powder. Saute till the mixture thickens. Set aside to cool. Make into small lime sized balls and set aside on a plate.
- Apply oil generously to your hands and take a small maida dough and place it on a wax paper. Start patting the dough to form a circle. Place the pooranam / stuffing ball in the middle of the dough and start covering the dough by pinching in the top. Apply oil to your hands and start pressing the ball gently to spread. Gently keep pressing the dough to evenly spread and form a circle.
- Set a griddle on heat on medium flame and place the obbattu and sprinkle some oil or ghee. Cook for a minute on each side.
- Set aside on a plate to cool.
- Category: Sweet
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu