This DAL FRY recipe is usually done using toor dal. I also do it with moong dal or masoor dal. South Indian Style dal fry with step by step pictures.
For the Curry
- 1/2 cup Dal (Toor Dal / Masoor Dal / Moong Dal)
- 1 teaspoon Coconut Oil
- 5 cloves Garlic, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 sprigs Curry leaves, finely chopped
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Green Chillies, finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1/4 cup fresh Coconut
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 3 dried red chillies
- Boil half cup of lentils till mushy. Set aside.
- Heat a teaspoon of coconut oil in a pan until hot. Add in the finely chopped garlic, finely chopped onions, finely chopped curry leaves and finely chopped green chillies. Fry till the onions are soft. Add in the salt and turmeric. Fry for a minute.
- Add in the cooked dal.
- Take quarter cup of coconut and grind it in a blender with half a cup of water to a smooth paste. Add it to the pan. Let the mixture come to a boil. Switch off the flame and remove the pan from heat.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add in some red chillies and cumin seeds. Let it splutter. Add it to the dal.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Tamilnadu, South Indian